another head-scratcher

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 3 21:17:09 UTC 2012

I know "ask" and "make the ask" from non-profit fundraising. The reason for
the word to exist is to overcome the reluctance of polite people to talk
about money. The "ask" is the conversation about money -- about a specific
amount of money.

Asking someone to donate money is a request.

Asking someone to donate $100 is an "ask".

I believe the phrase is also used in other contexts, like salary
negotiations.

DanG