FW: Butt Hole Road -- (mesage from J. Peter Maher)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Fri May 4 00:00:43 UTC 2012

Peter Maher (research specialty: etymology) sent me a brief e-mail about Butt Hole Road, and with his permission I now forward it to ads-l.

Gerald Cohen

[forwarded message]:

Jerry,

It should be obvious that no one moved to change the name until the recent spread of BUTT as the word for human posterior from Apppalachia... Cf hooker St, Beaver Commege...

peter

        From: J P Maher <devilsbit06 at yahoo.com>
        Subject: Butt Hole Road
        To: "jp maher" <devilsbit06 at yahoo.com>
        Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 9:54 AM

Butt Hole Road

        From: J P Maher <devilsbit06 at yahoo.com>
        Date: Thursday, May 3, 2012, 9:40 AM

Maphead: Charting the Wide, Weird World of Geography Wonks <http://books.google.com/books?id=jZkKRmFRXPsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Ken+Jennings%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lpiiT4XJNciH6QGEw_jCCA&ved=0CDoQ6AEwAg>

 <http://books.google.com/books?id=jZkKRmFRXPsC&printsec=frontcover&dq=inauthor:%22Ken+Jennings%22&hl=en&ei=lpiiT4XJNciH6QGEw_jCCA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=3&ved=0CDwQ6wEwAg>
books.google.com