anachronism watch

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sat May 5 16:29:58 UTC 2012

In a TV presentation (2000) of "Lady Audley's Secret", by Mary
Elizabeth Braddon, published in 1862 (called by Wikipedia "a
sensation novel"), I heard one character referred to as a
"gold-digger".   I was suspicious.  The OED dates it from 1920 -- and
calls it "orig. U.S." to boot.  I bought and read the book, but I
didn't find it.

Joel