Heard on The Doctors: "Lookit, youse

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun May 6 00:11:53 UTC 2012

On May 5, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> A forty-ish, white, emergency-room doctor at a Saint Louis hospital
> who describes himself as having been "born and raised in Saint Louis"
> says "_Lookit, youse!_

"Lookit, youse" would have have equally at home in NYC when I was growing up, although we (my friends and I) would have only been likely to utter "Lookit!", not "youse".  For "you-all"/"youse"/"yinz"/"you lot"/"you guys", we poor urchins had to get by with just "you", although we were passively familiar with at least "youse".

LH