Another monosyllabic base form for PSP

Neal Whitman nwhitman at AMERITECH.NET
Mon May 7 03:44:23 UTC 2012

The latest (to me) example of a monosyllabic verb with a lax vowel nucleus
and dental stop coda comes from the movie _The Avengers_, in which Natasha
Romanov says to Bruce Banner:

"You didn't come here because I bat my eyelashes at you."

Geoff Nathan wrote about this with the verb "pet" a few years back, but I
get too many "pet" and "petted" hits to have the patience for that search.
However, here are the blog posts I've written on the subject:

http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/retrofit-and-reverse-engineer-shameful-synonymy/
http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2007/03/24/he-grit-his-teeth/
http://literalminded.wordpress.com/2006/08/25/the-irregularization-of-pet/

Here is the beginning of a somewhat-related thread on this list, on the past
tense of "text":
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ADS-L;I5w0SQ;200903111124220700B

ANd here are a couple of posts from Arnold on the same topics:
http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2011/05/09/another-pstpsp-bse/
http://arnoldzwicky.wordpress.com/2008/12/25/whats-the-past-tense-of-the-verb-text/

Neal