serializing again

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 8 19:26:51 UTC 2012

The Romney campaign site contains the following graf on his love for the
Second Amendment.

http://www.mittromney.com/issues/gun-rights
> As president, Mitt will work to expand and enhance access and
> opportunities for Americans to hunt, shoot, and protect their
> families, homes and property, and he will fight the battle on all
> fronts to protect and promote the Second Amendment.

Around April 17, a comment at the Chicago Reader abbreviated the
sentence somewhat

> As president, Mitt will work to expand and enhance access and
> opportunities for Americans to hunt, shoot, and protect their families...

Then asked, "All at the same time?" The sentiment is slowly making the
rounds--not quite "viral", but not dormant either.

It's a common structural ambiguity. When writing, I've tried to switch
the verbs around, on occasion, to make those with a complement first,
but that rarely makes a big difference, thus requiring a complete
re-write. Apparently, no one at the campaign is aware of it.

     VS-)