1947 citing in Archie Comic of "butthole." What did it mean?

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 9 18:24:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> quoted:
> I have been a hundred
> times upon the point of killing myself, but still I was fond of life.
> This ridiculous weakness is, perhaps, one of the dangerous principles
> implanted in our nature. For what can be more absurd than to persist in
> carrying a burden of which we wish to be eased? to detest, and yet to
> strive to preserve our existence? In a word, to caress the serpent that
> devours us, and hug him close to our bosoms till he has gnawed into our
> hearts?

Absolutely marvelous! How can anybody be so obtuse as to claim that
there's no reason to continue to read the work of dead white men?

--
-Wilson
-----