"the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 13 23:13:02 UTC 2012

About three-fourths of the way through _The Lost Squadron_ (1932; dir.
George Archainbaud), Robert Armstrong (later of _King Kong_) clearly and
vigorously gives Richard Dix the finger from the cockpit of a biplane which
has just been sabotaged by Erich von Stroheim.

Naturally I thought I was crazy, but with the help of the olde DVR I
verified the gesture plus my sanity.  A reviewer at IMDb caught it as well,
even though he calls the gesture "the bird":

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023151/reviews

I've never seen it elsewhere in a movie before ca1970.

Otherwise the film wasn't real swell. Two stars.

JL