"the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 21:57:51 UTC 2012

This has largely been my experience as well. I don't know specifically
about Italians, but most Continental Europe did not acquire the gesture
/at least/ until the late 1980s, possibly 1990s--and that through
domination of Hollywood productions, including on TV. Plenty of other
gestures--the up-folded arm being one of them, but also "throwing"
fingers (particularly in Greece), kind of like the motion of casting
sand, and several others, not all used for the same purpose. But a bird?
Not until recently (i.e., 20 years or so). Four years ago, I noticed
that many younger Europeans were doing it (2007-8 I was basically
surrounded by 20-30 year old Europeans and by Dutch of all ages). And
some of them were still doing it quite clumsily and somewhat
apologetically. But even in the early 80s, my friends and I used to
laugh at Tony LaRoussa's motion to call up relief pitchers during the
game, as it resembled what we perceived as the traditional insult (other
baseball managers used more of a motion where one would touch the arm
near the elbow with fingers from the opposite hand--LaRoussa was the
only one who would actually bend the forearm upward while doing it).

     VS-)