"the finger" in 1932 Hollywood epic (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 14 22:18:50 UTC 2012

> some using the index finger, as if pointing to the imaginary out-door

Do we really know that this is recent? What I'm getting at is the
possibility that "give the finger" was originally a baseball expression
*not* referring explicitly to the obscene gesture - which may not have had
a name. Sounds crazy even as I write it, but consider that even today the
related forearm gesture doesn't have a common name!

Of course "the finger" seems obvious (but so does *"the arm").

Anyway, the Italian hypothesis comes not from certain knowledge but from
the conventional   wisdom that the finger gesture descends from Roman days.

Or perhaps it descends from Roman days only through Classical allusions.

JL