Tori Stafford ’s killer cries in court, apologizes to family, =?windows-1252?Q?_but_maintains_he=92s_?=innocent | News | National Post

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 15 17:05:02 UTC 2012

In Ontario, a supposed killer of an 8-year old girl was sentenced and
this is a big media event.

There is not enough information here to get the full sense of the
"apology" or of "being firmly behind ... not-guilty plea". But, it
seems, if Rafferty maintains his innocence, his apology would not be for
the killing.

http://goo.gl/flsZM
> Michael Rafferty apologized to Victoria Stafford’s family in court
> this morning after hearing the devastating effects of the little
> girl’s death.
> But he maintains he is innocent of kidnapping, raping and killing
> eight-year-old Tori, the three crimes he was convicted of Friday.
> Rafferty spoke after listening to emotional statements by Tori’s family.
> He said that while he is “very definitely part of why Victoria’s not
> here today,” he stands “firmly behind” his not-guilty plea.

So, I'm wondering, what is meant by "apology" here. "I'm sorry for/about
your suffering," is not an apology--it's an expression of regret. It
seems "apology" is drifting, in no small part because of the rise of the
political non-apology apology.

But, in this case, I don't seem to be able to find enough to be sure. A
bit more detail (with some overlap) from other sources. No one seems to
have the capacity to reproduce a larger quote to give it full context.

http://goo.gl/C168o

http://goo.gl/YnqcC
> Michael Rafferty maintained his innocence Tuesday in the brutal
> abduction, rape and killing of Victoria Stafford as the judge
> presiding over the case labelled him a "monster."
> Rafferty apologized to the eight-year-old girl's family in court after
> hearing the devastating effects of her death three years ago, but
> staunchly denied carrying out the crimes he was convicted of Friday.
> "I am guilty of many crimes and there are a lot of things I am very,
> very ashamed of, but these three counts I still stand firmly behind
> not guilty," he said.
> At the same time, he admitted to being "very definitely part of why
> Victoria's not here today," and offered to privately reveal "all the
> pieces of the puzzle" to Tori's mother, Tara McDonald.

Does "I am truly sorry to all the family" qualify as an actual apology?
Or is it just another, "I'm sorry for your loss, but don't blame me"?

     VS-)