Off-track: Re: [ADS-L] Mark Hanna Quote Question

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Wed May 16 15:07:25 UTC 2012

At 5/14/2012 08:55 PM, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
>I have been asked about the source of the following quotation, often
>attributed to Mark Hanna:
>
>"There are two things that are important in politics. The first is
>money and I can't remember what the second one is."
>
>Can anyone point me to early evidence of this quote?  Even
>apocryphal attributions would be of interest.

I am reminded of Peter Wimsey, who said (approximately):  "I know
only two tunes -- one is God Save the King and the other
isn't."  (Not in Wikiquote, I see.)

He also said "I always have a quotation for everything - it saves
original thinking."  Probably carries around a duodecimo edition of
the Yale Book of Quotations in his jacket pocket.

Joel