Quote: I know only two tunes; one is Yankee Doodle, and the other isn't. (U. S. Grant variant Lincoln)

Wed May 16 17:47:18 UTC 2012

Ulysses S. Grant died in 1885 so this attribution in 1888 is somewhat late.

Cite: 1888, Educational Topics of the Day: Chips from a Teacher's
Workshop by L. R. Klemm, Chapter III: Fundamental Errors in Teaching,
Page 127, Lee and Shepard Publishers, Boston. (Google Books full view)

[Begin excerpt]
Thirty years ago this country was songless. Gen. Grant used to say: "I
know only two tunes; one is Yankee Doodle, and the other isn't."
[End excerpt]

Researcher Paul F Boller has a version of the story in his book of
Presidential anecdotes. There is a footnote, but I cannot read it in
Google Books because the relevant footnote page is apparently blocked.

Presidential anecdotes
Author: Paul F Boller
Publisher: New York : Oxford University Press, 1996.

http://books.google.com/books?id=N0JRvfAIUFwC&q=%22two+tunes%22#v=snippet&

There is a variant anecdote featuring Lincoln instead of Grant. The
following pamphlet was published in 1914, but the incident apparently
was reported to have occurred in 1860.

Cite: 1914,  Abraham Lincoln's Visit to Evanston in 1860 by J. Seymour
Currey, Page 14, City National Bank, Evanston. (Google Books full
view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=1rXfAAAAMAAJ&q=%22two+tunes%22#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
A really good quartet, led by our long-time friend and fellow citizen,
Charles G. Ayars, called for Lincoln's special commendation; and I
recall how he put his arms around Ayars' shoulders, and said: 'Young
man, I wish I could sing as well as you. Unfortunately I know only two
tunes, one is "Old Hundred." and the other isn't.'
[End excerpt]

http://books.google.com/books?id=1rXfAAAAMAAJ&q=%22two+tunes%22#v=snippet&

Searches for this post were performed only in GB.

Garson