basketball

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 17 10:02:56 UTC 2012

Some basketball slang that may need dictionary attention. There is a lot
of it circulating, with the playoffs under way.

This one is close to lift n.2 5.d., but might be better served by a
separate subcategory.

http://goo.gl/0WdHg
> Paul Pierce is playing on a sprained medial collateral ligament. He
> cannot generate any lift, the trajectory of his shot is flat and he
> has difficulty maneuvering to the basket.

Not sure if "flat trajectory"--used as jargon both in baseball and
basketball--deserves attention as well (also "flat shot", "flat
flyball", "flat pitch", etc.). Also note this, under misguess n.

> 1991 /Petersen's Bowhunting/ Aug. 100/2   A flat arrow trajectory ...
> helos flatten out the misguesses in range estimation that I may make.

Most meanings of flat adj. refer to surfaces. Also could not find
"feeling flat" (flat adv.?) or "to leave (someone) flat" or similar, in
the same transf. sense as "deflated" or "dispirited". (There is a "to
leave (a person) flat, but it has a different meaning.) If I simply
missed this one, please let me know. Also the financial meaning of
"flat" is missing ("the market remained flat today", "the dollar is flat
against the euro", etc.)--compare to 13.a. and 13.b. The "market"
example above is similar to 13.b. but is not covered by it.

>  13. a. /Stock-exchange/ (/U.S./) Stock is said to be borrowed /flat/,
> when the lender allows no interest on the money he takes as security
> for it ( /Cent./ and /Standard Dicts./).
>  b. /Comm/. Unvarying, fixed, uniform; of a standard amount; not
> varying with changed conditions; without excess or diminution for
> particular cases. Also quasi-/adv/.

Also, no specific sub-entry for the sports (soccer, hockey, basketball,
waterpolo, if you wish) meaning of "sniper". It's a bit more than just a
regular figurative meaning of "sniper"--a basketball sniper could be a
high scorer who does not hit a high percentage of his shots, but someone
who does hit a high percentage of foul shots or someone who hits a high
percentage of his shots, but from the inside (e.g., a center) is not a
"sniper" (so a sniper has to make a lot of jump shots or long-distance
shots, and have more of those than short-range shots or dunks). From the
article cited above:

> The Celtics' sniper has lost his mark, and it's killing them.

Comfort spot--the area on the floor from which a player launches the
majority of his shots (could be more than one spot).

> "What we're trying to do with Pierce is knock him off his path," Evan
> Turner said. "Get him away from his comfort spots.

There is something similar in soccer, but I don't recall the exact
terminology. For example, Arjen Robben's patented move is to run to the
top right corner of the box, then cut back sharply for a left-footed
shot--the majority of his goals are scored in this manner. (Of course,
this only works because he can score right-footed, should the defender
leave him open on the run to the right.)

The line--the foul line 3., but almost never used alone. Instead, "[to
be] at the line" (due to shoot foul shots--but not "on the line"!!),
"[send X] to the line" (commit a "shooting" foul on player X; "to step
to the line"--prepare to shoot a free throw), "from the line" (reference
to foul shots, e.g., shooting percentage "from the line", having scored
"from the line", etc.). Nothing close in OED--the meaning does not match
line n.2 II. 7.f.

> 7. f. In various games, as tennis, football, etc., the line denotes a
> particular line which marks the limit of legitimate or successful
> play; in /Cricket/, the line of flight of the ball from the bowler's
> hand. Also in phr. (taken from American football, but influenced by
> sense
> <http://www.oed.com.ezproxy.bpl.org/view/Entry/108603?redirectedFrom=on%20the%20line#eid39216729>20b)
> to hold the line, to maintain, support, a position, viewpoint, etc.

"Behind the line" (particularly "from behind the line"--or, as Marv
Albert often calls it "from downtown")--3-point line--is completely
different, but might fall under 7.f.--if it were at least mentioned.

While I am dealing with "line", there is an "on the line" expression
under line n.2 11.c.

> 11.c. on the line: said of a picture in an exhibition which is hung so
> that its centre is about on a level with the eye.

But the line (no pun intended) you usually hear from Marv Albert ("with
the game on the line")--but obviously used in wider context--is not
covered. Still, compare to line n.2 13.f.

> 13. f. to lay (or put) it on the line: /(a) /to hand over money; /(b)
> /to state (something) clearly, plainly, or categorically; /(c) /(with
> direct object) to put (one's career, etc.) at risk. Also with /place/,
> and the verb /to be/. Chiefly /U.S./

With the discussion of "toe the line" recently, 13.d. is also worth
mentioning.

> 13. d. /transf./ A marked tendency, a policy or trend (in any
> activity). In weakened use (/slang/): a glib or superficially
> attractive mode of address or behaviour, plausible talk. So to do a
> line with(/Austral./ and /N.Z./), to (try to) enter into an amorous
> relationship with.
> [Not clearly separable from senses 28a, 28b Cf. also /to shoot a line/
> at sense 13g.]

Line n.2 13.e. needs a link to "to get a bead on", which means the same
thing. (Is "to get a lead on" the equivalent journo jargon?)

> 13. e. to get a line on, to acquire information about (a thing), to
> come to know. So to give (someone) a line on. /colloq./ (orig. /U.S./).

OED also has "out of line" (line n.2 28.b.) and "toe the line" (toe v.
2.) in different sectors. "Step over the line" or just "over the line"
gets no separate listing. None of the three show any connection to the
military, although folk etymology usually has them as military metaphors
(parade lines, and such).

Going away from basketball, toward football, there is also no evidence
of "line" use in American football. Aside from the basic defensive line
and offensive line, both are often referred to as "the line", to be
understood in context. That leads to "lineman", "linebacker", "line
coach", "line-up" (v.) and "alignment"--none of which are covered in the
OED.

But I digress...

     VS-)