dropping -ed in adjectives

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Thu May 17 12:18:19 UTC 2012

On May 17, 2012, at 12:12 AM, Amy West wrote:

>> as i noted back in 2008, Brians's Common Errors has both "bias" for "biased" and "prejudice" for "prejudiced".
>>
>> arnold
> I checked the slim usage section in Hacker (the manual the students use)
> and MWDEU and didn't spot anything about it in either before posting.
>
> So, it's still in "error" category and not "dialectal variant"?

the "errors" in Brians are almost all non-standardisms -- errors from the point of view of the standard language, not inadvertent errors in writing.  so Brians is a great source of dialectal variants (though most are not easily identifiable with particular geographical areas or social groups).

arnold