Going through the (e)motions--the book

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon May 21 01:31:23 UTC 2012

On May 20, 2012, at 9:13 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Sun, May 20, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
>> Or maybe we could wait for the DVD version.
>
> "Going through the (e)motions" > "going through the emotions" reminds
> me of a '60's Los Angeles BE turn of phrase:
>
> _going through the changes_,
>
> specifically,
>
> "dealing with the emotional consequences of the vicissitudes of life."

Or the causative version thereof, nicely tweaked in Linda Ronstadt's "Poor, poor pitiful me" (well, actually Warren Zevon's "Poor poor pitiful me", but it's Ronstadt's version I have on my iTunes), from the late 70s:

Well I met a man out in Hollywood,
Now I ain't namin' names
Well he really worked me over good,
Just like Jesse James.