"Don't let the bastards get you down!" 1945

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Mon May 21 15:35:01 UTC 2012

So what would the real Latin be?  Enquiring minds want to know.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of Neal Whitman
Sent: Sunday, May 20, 2012 11:09 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: "Don't let the bastards get you down!" 1945

You're right. It's not funny, because it's bogus Latin. If it had been real
Latin, like Henry Beard's Latin for All Occasions, it would have been funny.
If it had been the "Romanes eunt domus" part of Monty Python's Life of
Brian, it would have been funny, because "Romani ite domum" really is what
it would have been in classical Latin. But this grasping "Illegitimi non
carborundum" phonus balonus (more bogus Latin, via P.G. Wodehouse) is not
funny.

Neal