"By 1961, eighty-five percent of Africa's elephants had been _decimated_."

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue May 22 15:09:05 UTC 2012

At 5/22/2012 10:31 AM, Baker, John wrote:
>I wouldn't, but he might.  We know that there are people for whom
>decimated=killed, with respect to a single individual.
>
>I like the decimated hydra, though.

But wouldn't it take forever to decimate a Hydra?  (Unless you're as
clever as Hercules.)  The denominator would keep on increasing.

Perhaps a decimated Kali?  (If one is not decimated first.)  I *had*
thought that this analogy was only closer to 10% than is 85%, being
either 25% (considering the traditional number of arms); or 16 2/3%
(see the six-armed Kali in Ray Harryhausen's "The Golden Voyage of
Sinbad").  But I am informed by Wikipedia that "In the ten-armed form
of Mahakali she is depicted as shining like a blue stone. She has ten
faces and ten feet and three eyes." Bingo!

Joel