But for (from ID TV)

Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700 lynne.hunter at NAVY.MIL
Tue May 22 21:40:32 UTC 2012

That was what I thought, too, but I was puzzling as to what the sentence
could possibly mean (if anything) if the "usual" interpretation of "but
for" were retained.

Lynne Hunter

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Joel S. Berson
Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:04 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: But for (from ID TV)

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
     American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       "Joel S. Berson" <Berson at ATT.NET>
-------

The simplest explanation I can think of (truthfully, the first,
because I'm too lazy to try to find a second) is that "but for"
replaced "only for" (meaning "only by, only because of, merely by") --

"It was only for a random Internet search that the two [killer and
victim] were brought together."

Joel

At 5/22/2012 03:50 PM, Hunter, Lynne R CIV SPAWARSYSCEN-PACIFIC, 71700
wrote:
>You're certainly right about people getting things backwards. But while
>Dr. Phil's use of "predecessor" (instead of "successor") could possibly
>be excused as a slip of the tongue (despite his having repeated it
>several times) or maybe as just a defect in vocabulary, the ID TV
>example presents a logical tangle that I'm still trying to unravel. It
>wasn't that I was expecting "kept apart" rather than "brought together"
>but that I was taken aback by the plugging of "but for" into an
>affirmative cause-effect construction (i.e., it was only a random
>Internet search that brought the two together). My experience with
>"but-for" has been limited to contrary-to-fact conditions, as in "But
>for [if not for, except for] a random Internet search, the two [killer
>and victim] would never have been brought together" or "But for a
random
>Internet search, the two would have remained forever apart," or as in
>your example "There but for fortune go you or I."
>
>Where are you, Daniel, if I may ask, that you get Letterman on "two
>weeks delay"?

Behalf