to parse

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 24 19:55:03 UTC 2012

Sorry, Joel, but to "examine or analyze minutely" isn't the sense context
seems to impose in most of these cases, though today's is a little closer.

CNN wasn't wondering whether Mitt needs to "examine or analyze" Bain
"minutely."  They wondered whether he needs to explain its workings to the
public, minutely or otherwise - presumably otherwise.

The "parsing" of the cave paintings was evidently done by the artist, not
the critics. The stylized warriors are arranged in a certain fashion to
*show* that they're "in opposition."

Anyway, my point is not that these are weird, radical new senses (though I
could easily be persuaded about the last one), but that they *are* new, and
that in certain circles "parse" is hot stuff.

JL