Dialect-clash

Sun May 27 15:42:58 UTC 2012

I don't know of any British dialect that says [blu:di] (though it was StdE in the 17th century!)--[blUdi]'s quite common--the whole North and most of the Midlands says that, and there were traditional Northern dialects that had kind of the equivalent of [blu:di] in that the vowel was the same as words like boot, moon--but this vowel was usually [I@].  You might have gotten [blIUdI] in Cumbrian or South Durham, which is close, but I doubt those doctor programs were set in 18c-early 20c Carlisle or Hartlepool somehow.

Paul Johnston