unfoil; annuls

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 28 18:43:56 UTC 2012

"Annuls" seems clearly to be a misspelling and misapprehension of "annals,"
as Larry notes. But "annals"  in the usual sense doesn't apply here, no
matter how spelled.

Here it seems to mean something like 'stages or vicissitudes,' to a writer
with extremely limited powers of expression, considering his or her
job.  The phrase "in the annals of X" is so cliche' in entertainment
writing that it presumably popped unbidden into the writer's mind and
seemed "good enough" because he didn't know exactly what an "annal/ annul"
was in the first place.

JL