Dialect-clash

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 29 06:16:07 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Paul Johnston <paul.johnston at wmich.edu> wrote:
> I don't know of any British dialect that says [blu:di] (though it was StdE in the 17th century!)--[blUdi]'s quite common--the whole North and most of the Midlands says that, and there were traditional Northern dialects that had kind of the equivalent of [blu:di] in that the vowel was the same as words like boot, moon--but this vowel was usually [I@]. Â You might have gotten [blIUdI] in Cumbrian or South Durham, which is close, but I doubt those doctor programs were set in 18c-early 20c Carlisle or Hartlepool somehow.

The programme, Bizarre ER, is *too* bizarre for my taste, so I haven't
watched it enough to have noticed where the hospitals featured are
located. In fact, I've pretty much seen and heard only the promos.
Someone with a better ear for Britspeak than I or some random Berliner
and paying more attention may very well *not* get the impression that
the pronunciation is, in any way at all, similar to [blu:di].

Youneverknow.

--
-Wilson
-----