Quote: Have you tried curiosity? (Dorothy Parker's suggestion for an unwanted cat - 1966 August 7)

Thu May 31 04:44:00 UTC 2012

Dorothy Parker was once approached by an upset friend who had to get
rid of a cat. Parker's response was: "Have you tried curiosity?" or
"Try curiosity."

There are a few different versions of this anecdote/quote which is
included in the Yale Book of Quotations; Cassell's Humorous Quotations
compiled by Nigel Rees; The Little, Brown Book of Anecdotes edited by
Clifton Fadiman; and other works. YBQ has the heretofore earliest cite
in 1968.

The earliest instance I have located appeared in the popular
syndicated column of Leonard Lyons:

Cite: 1966 August 6, The Times-Picayune, The Lyons Den:  Coach Meets
Pope by Leonard Lyons, Section two, Page 12, Column 4, [GNB Page 35],
New Orleans, Louisiana. (GenealogyBank)

[Begin excerpt]
Dorothy Parker visited the Zero Mostels last week. Ian Hunter also was
among the guests, and Mostel asked him about his cat - which
terrorizes everyone: "Have you killed that cat yet?" ... "No, I
haven't," Hunter said. "Frankly, I can't afford it - to pay the fee
for killing my cat." ... Mrs. Parker suggested: "Have you tried
curiosity?"
[End excerpt]

Garson