Donnybrook - a scene of uproar and disorder

Thu May 31 07:26:18 UTC 2012

The article that Victor pointed out included a mention of donnybrook.

The OED has "Donnybrook, donnybrook" noun with a first cite in 1852:

[Begin excerpt]
A scene of uproar and disorder; a riotous or uproarious meeting; a
heated argument.

1852  Blackwood's Edinb. Mag. Nov. 645/2   The Irish patriots insist
on having a Donnybrook to themselves.
[End excerpt]

I think the cite below may provide an example of Donnybrook as "a
scene of uproar and disorder" in 1848.

Cite: 1848 April, Tait's Edinburgh Magazine, The Wants of the Times,
Start Page 215, Quote Page 215, Sutherland & Knox, Edinburgh. (Google
Books full view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=mD1NAAAAMAAJ&q=+Donnybrook#v=snippet&

[Begin excerpt]
The Whigs will not admit the possibility of violence in this country.
Something may occur in Ireland. The presumed tendency to
scull-breaking was supposed to be excited in Ireland by the mad essays
and theories of a few wild writers and orators. Fears were entertained
that, on St Patrick's eve, Dame Street might be converted into a
Donnybrook, and the Earl of Clarendon made suitable preparations for a
great event. The day passed, and in peace, but it was followed by the
melancholy farce of arresting three parties, who could have given
heavy bail, but were dismissed on finding security for [Pounds] 200
each to meet their trial. Sedition, like other commodities, is lowered
in value.
[End excerpt]

Garson