cath v.

Sissy SoFunk sissy.sofunk at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 5 07:05:40 UTC 2012

I've been doing healthcare in Canada for 14 years, and "cathing" has always
been the norm in the places I've worked.  Even in professional manuals,
they would usually use 'catheterizing" in the formal introduction to
procedures, but "cathing" for employee guidelines.  I doubt I came across
more than 15% of staff who would use anything else, and even then it would
be split betweeen "catheterizing" and "cathetering".  I worked in
home-based health support, which is less formal than hospital settings, but
when I was working with clients in-hospital the doctors and nurses would
generally use "cath", "cathed", and "cathing" when we were talking
informally.