antedating tit (and other things) (UNCLASSIFIED)

Tue Nov 6 22:53:52 UTC 2012

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

WRT to the 1809/1833 cites, so it does (OED n3 I. 1.)

But the 1904 cite seems to mean "teats of a sow", rather than "sow".

But if you say otherwise, I'd defer to your better judgement.

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: antedating tit (and other things) (UNCLASSIFIED)

> --------
>
> Thanks, Bill.
>
> The pre-1904 "tits," believe it or not, are horses.
>
> Interestingly enough, the usual word in off-color 18th and 19th C.
> publications is "bubs," modern "boobs." The vast majority of these,
> however, are British.
>
> The earliest ex. I found:
>
> 1862 in J. A. Frank & G. A. Reaves _Seeing the Elephant_ (N.Y.:
> Greenwood,
> 1989) 42: _Sow belly_ ...is fat bacon with tits on it as long as your
> finger.
>
> Your 1904 likewise appears to refer to a sow.
>
> Jon
>
> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC <
> Bill.Mullins at us.army.mil> wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       "Mullins, Bill AMRDEC" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> > Subject:      antedating tit (and other things) (UNCLASSIFIED)

> -
> > ---------
> >
> > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
> > Caveats: NONE
> >
> > All of these cites are from HathiTrust
> >

> > OED has "tit" (=mammary gland) only back to 1928 (although it has
> "teat"
> > almost a millennium before that).
> >

> > I. [Isaac] Pocock _Yes or No?  A Musical Farce, in Two Acts_ London:
> J.
> > Barker, 1809
> > p. 37
> > "With spirits gay I mount the box, the tits up to their traces, My
> > elbows squar'd, my wrist turn'd down, dash off to Epsom races."
> >

> > _American Railroad Journal, and Advocate of Internal Improvements_
> vol
> > 2 #3, Jun 8, 1833 p. 362 col 2 "By the way, there were then in
France