"coat"? And "whom the coat fits"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 9 19:14:32 UTC 2012

A later article in the Courant, by the same writer, may cast a light
on "coat" below -- as well as provide a variant form of "if the shoe
fits, wear it".

"Will[iam] Coatless" writes that NEC articles pointing fingers at
particular persons is not allowable.  Charity does not permit calling
someone an atheist when he is not; good manners does not permit
calling someone a "fellow" [a "low person" in the 18th
century].  "Coatless" writes that you [the editor] will say "Them
that the Coat fits let them take it."

1)  Perhaps "Those Pieces you have published of late, which some call
Coats" means that some people think the articles in question "coat"
their subjects falsely.

2)   "Them that the Coat fits let them take it." -- a variant of "if
the shoe fits, wear it".

I do not have quotation dictionaries to consult.  In Google I find
only the following: "then indeed the Coat fits them, the Sermon is to
them, and let them wear it, let them take it".  From "The Convocation
Anatomized. Being a Brief Examination of the Proceedings against the
Ld. Bp. of Bangor's Writings: by the Lower House of Convocation"
(London, 1717).  [From a typically-poor OCR rendering by archive.org,
but also in ECCO I'm told.]

Joel