Epistemic closure

Sat Nov 10 18:12:07 UTC 2012

On Nov 10, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU> wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2012, at 8:52 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>
>>> The term refers to a situation where the information you receive is
>> biased.
>>
>> Surely it's more complicated than just turning a blind eye to good
>> evidence. The sentence Victor quotes is decidedly unhelpful.
>>
>> I doubt that Brooks fully absorbed the article Ben refers to; therefore I
>> doubt that he's using the term as a logician was.
>>

> Maybe more like the most basic form of epistemic closure:  sticking one's fingers in one's ears and singing loudly LA-LA-LA-LA-I-CAN'T-HEAR-YOU.

It refers more to an environment where the information has become filtered and the people in the environment cannot see that.

See http://www.redletterchristians.org/persecution-and-epistemic-closure/ which has "Epistemic closure is a recently defined philosophical term that describes someone who is so thoroughly encased in the echo chamber of their own ideology that they are completely immune to considering other viewpoints" and other information.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA