"Suit to a t-y-t" (and similiar)

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Sun Nov 11 20:56:32 UTC 2012

Quick glance through the newspaper archives (1800-1929) shows me a
number of synonyms for "T" (as in "suits me to a T" etc.).
(Newspaperarchive has been misbehaving more than usual for me lately BTW.)

There is "T" itself.

tee

There is the even older (and likely ancestral, some say) "tittle", along
with other words compatible with a sense of "small written feature".

tittle
dot
hair
scribe
notch
letter
turn

Of these, "dot" was apparently very frequent. I didn't see "jot".

There are different ways of writing "TYT".

TYT
tyt
t-y-ty
t-y-t
ty-T
T-y-t
T-Y-tee

I did not see any spelled with "whitie", "whitey", "why", etc., in this
brief look-see. (I think the "witch"/"which" merger was much less
prevalent back when.)

There are a few others.

marvel
charm
nicety

"Nicety" might be equated to "nice T": is it just a coincidence? (I see
this similarity used for an outright pun in 1900.)

The instance in the James Whitcomb Riley poem shows last-syllable stress
(t y TEE). This poem ("Tradin' Joe") dates from 1874, apparently,
although the earliest text I've seen is from 1893.

-- Doug Wilson