Fwd: Disk vs. disc

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 13 05:04:29 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Travis Butler <tbutler at mac.com>
Date: Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 8:36 PM
Subject: Re: Disk vs. disc (was Re: License situation for selling
older Mac upgraded to Lion)
To: TidBITS Talk <tidbits-talk at tidbits.com>

On Nov 12, 2012, at 5:01 PM, "Mark D. McKean" <qpanda at quantumpanda.com> wrote:

> Honestly, I think the difference comes from the fact that the technologies were developed in different industries. Floppies and hard drives come strictly out of the computing industry, but CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays were developed by the entertainment industry to hold media. Their use as data storage is secondary. That doesn't explain why each industry chose the spelling they did, but it at least would explain why they are not the same.

Yep; makes sense to me. The other distinction I'd draw is between
writable and non-writable; all the optical media formats started out
as read-only, and were very inconvenient to write to even after they
became writable. All the 'disks', by contrast, were full read-write
devices.

The 'entertainment media' heritage might explain the disc spelling as
a successor to LP records; as far as I can remember, they were always
called 'discs'.

____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to tidbits-talk at tidbits.com.
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____

--
-Wilson
-----