factoid

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 16 15:57:56 UTC 2012

At 11/16/2012 07:44 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> >  Back in our old unsophisticated days we used to think that if it wasn't
>true, it wasn't a fact (however trivial it might (not) be.
>
>That *was* a long time ago, wasn't it?
>
>(Don't forget my obsessive-compulsive discussion of current uses of "fact"
>here a few years ago.)
>
>Norman Mailer coined "factoid" in 1973 in the sense of something widely
>accepted as a fact though of dubious or no truthfulness. IIRC, he suggested
>that a steamy affair between Marilyn and JFK would make a great factoid and
>- voila! - it came to pass.
>
>If I'm wrong, please advise. (When I tell people that JFK and MM were never
>an item, they back away like I'm a mental patient released too soon.)

Factoid:  MM and Einstein were an item.
Proof:  Cover photograph of Scientific American (what could be more
truthy than it?) showing them kissing.  (Or Marilyn kissing Albert --
I forget.)

Factoid:  They are really the same person.
Proof:   Scientific American's correction, in "The Eyes Have It":
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-eyes-have-it

Joel