bottles from Boyes Spring

Fri Nov 16 17:09:01 UTC 2012

Yesterday I sent questions to several west coast clubs of collectors of
historical bottles, asking whether any of their members had bottles
labelled as having contained water from Boyes Spring.
You may recall that among the dozen or so items from 1913 from the San
Francisco sports pages, there were one or two items written when the SF
Seals were slumping that suggested that the mineral water from Boyes Spring
was distributed in bottles for the benefit of those not actually at the
resort -- the Seals were flat, without energy, their supply of jazz had run
out, and their manager ought to send away for a couple more cases.

Mike Bryant, the president of one of these clubs, has sent me a response,
from Ferdinand Meyer V with photographs of a Boyes Spring mineral water
bottle.  As Meyer notes, the bottle is probably from a good deal later than
the early 1910s, which is what I am hoping for, but still, it's pretty
nice.  I have just tried to forward the images to the list, but the message
was rejected, because of the images.  So, those interested should let me
know, off-list is best, no doubt, and I will send them.

I'm hoping for more, but we will see.  Even more than a bottle that can be
reasonably dated to before WWI, I'm hoping for one that will identify the
water as having jazz.  But I'm not counting on it.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.