"there's on since": how did that happen?

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Fri Nov 16 23:56:38 UTC 2012

On 11/16/2012 3:21 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:

  A NYTimes article today datelined San Antonio comments on the
possibility of Carmelo Anthony guarding a heavier Zach Randolph in the
Knicks' next game. Coach Woodson is quoted as saying "Carmelo is big
enough ... He's done it before in the past so that won't make any
difference for us. ... For right now, there's on since in making any
changes." [Print version, NE edition.] I assume that should be "there's
no sense in making any changes". [As in the on-line version.] But how
did this garbling happen? In this day and age, reporters don't
voice-phone-call-in their stories (or fax handwritten copies), do they?

I think it was the BBC news webpage which explained that the Indonesian
hobbits were only three metres tall.  I suspect that one was a
copywriter's correction.

--
Dan Goodman