Most Notable Quotations of 2012?

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 18 02:45:04 UTC 2012

I’m starting to think about my annual list, run by the Associated Press, of the top 10 most notable quotations of the year.  By “notable” I mean “important” or “famous” or “particularly revealing of the spirit of our times” rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.

I would welcome suggestions of notable quotations from 2012, particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment or sports or business or technology.

I already have the following in mind as plausible candidates for the list, all drawn from the election campaigns:

Romney on liking being able to fire people
Romney on 47 percent
Romney on binders full of women
Obama on "you didn't build that"
Obama on horses and bayonets
Eric Fehrnstrom on "Etch a Sketch"
Todd Akin on legitimate rape

Fred Shapiro
Editor
YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS (Yale University Press)