referring to something by where it is located (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 20 04:38:25 UTC 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 4:07 PM, Gordon, Matthew J. wrote:

> It's a kind of metonymy. Other exx. found among these:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metonyms
>
> -Matt Gordon

And to be more specific (to eliminate other sorts of metonyms as represented by most of the ones in the "general" category, e.g. "the bar", or "hired hands", or "we need some arms" [= baseball pitchers], or "the Crown"), perhaps the category in question could be narrowly labelled "topometonymy".

LH