Aphorism: If you shoot at sun you may hit a star

Fri Nov 23 17:45:44 UTC 2012

W Brewer wrote:
> WB:  Cf. Wernher von Braun, I Aim at the Stars (1960 autobiographical
> film). [But zometimes I hit London. --- Mort Sahl]

Thanks for your response WB. While researching I did come across some
instances of the joke that you mentioned. Here are two cites.

Cite: 1961 April 24, Lowell Sun, Our Sense Of Humor Is Back by John
Crosby, Quote Page 5, Column 5, Lowell, Massachusetts.
(NewspaperArchive)
[Begin excerpt]
There was, for instance, a movie made about Werner von Braun's life
called "I Aim At The Stars." It was Mort Sahl who cracked "I aim at
the stars - but sometimes I hit London."
[End excerpt]

Cite: 1980 February 19, Oregonian, Game need modifications by Jim
Murray, Page F3, Column 1, Portland, Oregon. (GenealogyBank)
[Begin excerpt]
... recalling what the screenwriter Herman Mankiewicz had to say when
asked to do the screenplay on Wernher Von Braun's biography, "I Aim
For The Stars." Herman said he would do it with one slight title
change: "I Aim For The Stars - but sometimes I hit London."
[End excerpt]

Garson