UD: 1) _dick string_; 2)_snapping pussy_

paul johnson paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Mon Nov 26 14:12:54 UTC 2012

paul johnson
     My childhood memories claim that "snapping pussy" referred to a
woman with superlative muscle control.  A Queen of Kegel, so to speak,
A commodity to be sought not to be feared.
     This one is even more distant,  does anyone else remember the
story/concept of tieing your  dick to your leg so as not to be
embarassed with an erection at the wrong time at a dance, perhaps.
On 11/26/2012 7:49 AM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> As Wilson and HDAS both imply, context and the limited evidence suggest
> that the string in question is notional rather than physical.
>
> Once a common snapping turtle snaps, it becomes impossible for you to
> remove your finger, toe, nose, etc., from its jaws until it decides to let
> go, which in my experience can be thirty seconds or more. (It will seem
> longer.)  In folk belief, you have to wait till sundown or when it
> thunders. (It will seem longer.)
>
> Thus, references to other kinds of snappers are what we academics call
> "hyperbolic."
>
> BTW, if you're bitten by an *alligator* snapper, you can get away
> immediately because your finger, toe, nose, etc., will have been removed
> *for* you.
>
> JL
>

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 5:33 AM, Damien Hall <damien.hall at newcastle.ac.uk>wrote:

>> -----------------------
>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Damien Hall <damien.hall at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK>
>> Subject:      UD: 1) _dick string_; 2)_snapping pussy_

>> Mightn't a _dick-string_ be the frenulum (of prepuce of penis), which can
>> otherwise be known as a _banjo string_?  The inspiration for 'popping' it
>> might then be the pressure that it can come under in certain circumstances
>> of sexual attraction.
>>
>> I'm fairly confident about that and less confident about this proposal for
>> _snapping pussy_, but might that be to do with tightness?
>>
>> Damien
>>
>> --
>>
>> Damien Hall
>> Newcastle University (UK)

> --

sexy accent? For me, it's that subtle raised-eyebrow come-on of a
circumflex.