a (new?) back form and a weird reanalysis

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Oct 2 00:08:05 UTC 2012

(1) From an interview with Giants' quarterback Eli Manning, taking the blame for a play at the end of the game on which his young receiver Ramses Barden was forced to commit offensive pass interference to prevent a likely interception, leading to a penalty that cost the team a chance to win the game:  "I threw it badly. He *had* to pass-interfere."  OK, quick Google search suggests it's not new, but no doubt created ad hoc as needed.

(2) From a letter to the Times' "Metropolitan Diary", someone writes about being told he needed a "stahduh" for his florescent light; piece included in its entirety for its ADS relevance, however misguided on the "succumb"ing of regional dialects:

=====
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/27/when-stahdahs-were-stahdahs/

When Stahdahs Were Stahdahs

By DICK DULANY

Dear Diary:

I had just come to New York in the late 1960s and rented a roach-infested apartment for $75 a month on East 25th Street.

The fluorescent light in the bathroom refused to come on even after putting in a new bulb. I saw a miniature tin-can-shaped thingy that, with a twist, came out easily. I took it to my favorite and helpful hardware store on Third Avenue, Schneider’s Hardware, run by Mrs. Schneider. She was an encyclopedia of helpful information for a new arrival in the city.

I told her the problem and asked her what the small, tin-colored cylinder in my hand was called. She said, “Those are stahdahs.”

“O.K., give me a stahdah,” I repeated back. She said O.K. and rang it up. I paid and left.

As I was walking back to my apartment, I dissembled the curious word stahdahs. Stahdahs, stahdahs … starters? Starter? It’s a starter!

About the same time I heard a cabdriver say, “Toity-toid and Toid.” Those accents have succumbed to the accentless voices on radio and television. Some of the nuance and color of New York is gone.
=====

But what I'm looking at here is the use of "dissemble" for "disassemble".  Googling "I dissembled" (on the assumption that people wouldn't usually be admitting actually dissembling, thereby resulting in a higher proportion of "new" dissembling for the first person cases, I did indeed find a healthy number of cases of the form "I dissembled X", where X = some gear or other: smartphone, GPU, vacuum cleaner, sump pump, gun, makerbot, etc.  Lots of dissembling going on, and that's the honest truth!  (Not technically an eggcorn, though, as I understand it.)

LH