More on Britishisms in AmE

Tue Oct 2 03:35:03 UTC 2012

The Phrase Finder website of Gary Martin has a relevant discussion.
The earliest example of the phrase "plum(b) tuckered out" that he
found was in 1871 and the "b" was omitted.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/tuckered-out.html

[Begin excerpt]

'Plumb tuckered out' is somewhat later and the first example I have is
from The Atlantic Monthly, November 1871, in a story called Wayside
Pikes:

   She then informed me that the first time she
   had mounted the colt he had nearly bucked her
   to pieces; he had jumped and jounced till she
   was plum tuckered out before he had given up.

[End excerpt]

Perhaps the coiner of the phrase had two objectives:
(1) Construct a future cliche.
(2) Enact a spelling reform.