More on Britishisms in AmE

Charles C Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Tue Oct 2 13:48:07 UTC 2012

In my last paragraph, I meant to say (of course) "plumb tuckered out" and "plumb tired out."

--Charlie

From: American Dialect Society [ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] on behalf of Charles C Doyle [cdoyle at UGA.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:37 AM

It doesn't seem to me that "plumb tuckered out" should be treated as a fixed phrase (in need of having been "coined").  In the South, at least, we could just as well say "plumb exhausted" or "all tuckered out."  That is, neither the adverb "plumb" nor the participle "tuckered out" is uncommon--so there's nothing remarkable about the combination.

Etiological legend:  There's a street at the edge of Athens GA named "Plum Nelly Drive" (the kind of name that calls for "explanation"!).  Long ago, at the end of each day when the field hands would trudge back up the hill toward town, arriving at the road, they would be plumb tired out but nearly home. (You've got to do "dialect" there!).

I have never heard the legend told with the phrase "all tuckered out"; it's invariably "all tired out"--with "tired" pronounced (exaggeratedly) [tard].

--Charlie