A new one on me y'all guys

Wed Oct 3 19:23:21 UTC 2012

Jonathan Lighter said:
> My neighbor, age 70+, a lifelong resident of Knoxville, Tenn., clearly and
> habitually says "you-all," just as it's printed in older books.
>
> The Wacky article is so clumsily written as to make me fear that at least
> some of the "famous author" exx. represent "you will."  (A quick sample of
> Faulkner at Google books shows only "y'all.")

I can find one edition of the writings by William Faulkner that
contained "ya'll" in Google Books. The passage with the term was from
"The Sound and the Fury" I think. But the common modern contraction
"y'all" was used in all the other editions that I can see in Google
Books. For unknown reasons I cannot link directly to the relevant
passage.

Go to Google or Google Books and search for the following quoted
string and you should be led to the relevant passage:

"Den ya'll go out"

To see other examples using the more conventional contraction search
for the following:

"Den y'all go out"

(If you are reading this in future days then the instructions above may fail.)

Of course, the instance of "ya'll" might simply be a mistake.
Examination of William Faulkner's draft manuscript for the text (if
the draft exists) would help resolve this question.

Title: The Faulkner Reader