OED Appeals

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 3 23:34:37 UTC 2012

On Oct 3, 2012, at 7:17 PM, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> OED has launched an "Appeals" campaign, where we solicit help from the
> public to find antedatings (etc.) of problematic words. We have a list
> of eight items up now, including _cooties, FAQ, Kwanzaa,_ and _Bellini_,
> and will be adding 1-2 new items a week for the near future. See the
> details at http://www.oed.com/appeals.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jesse Sheidlower
> OED

On "Kwanzaa", it might be useful to know that while the OED Appeals note attributes it to "Maulana Karenga" from c. 1966, when he and I were both at UCLA during that period (1966-69), he was still--at least at the beginning of that period--Ron Karenga.  I don't know if that will help with searches.

LH