OED Appeal: cooties (probably 1965)

Thu Oct 4 07:11:16 UTC 2012

Here is some progress on "cooties". I guess the date in the subject
line is now obsolete.

Cite: 1955 June 14, New York Times, "Television: Second Banana Is
Tops: Art Carney Excels in 'Studio One' Play" by J. P. Shanley, Page
59, New York. (ProQuest)

[Begin excerpt]
He would tell his wife and his mother at the dinner table about the
day in his 5B classroom when his friend, Hermie Grant, lost his job as
window-pole monitor after having written on the blackboard that "Mr.
Corey [his teacher] has cooties."
[End excerpt]

Garson