OED Appeal: cooties (probably 1965)

Thu Oct 4 19:10:52 UTC 2012

Here is a Google snippet match with the phrase "pretending to fling
cooties". Maybe this is transitional. But I do not think the
participants are school children. This is close to the lice/bugs sense
but it includes fantasy-play.

Luckiest man alive: being the author's own story, with certain ... - Page 80
books.google.com/books?id=7DY5AAAAIAAJ
Lee Shippey - 1959 - Snippet view - More editions
[Begin snippet]
Some others made surly jokes as they slid into them, pretending to
fling cooties on one another, and vowing they were so big they could
hear them bounce. But one clump of men, despite their weariness and
stiffness and the perils which might ...
[End snippet]

Also, if one searches for "cootie garages" there are multiple matches
in the 1950s that refer to a hair style. The usage is satirical I
think.

Streets of Askelon - Page 2
books.google.com/books?id=HpZLAAAAIAAJ
Don Tracy - 1951 - Snippet view
[Begin snippet]
She picked up her ruled shorthand pad, stuck an extra pencil in the
puff of hair that covered her right ear — cootie garages they called
them — and walked into Mr. Blakston's office. Uh-huh, he was hunched
over those maps again. He must ...
[End snippet]