cootie-catchers

Thu Oct 4 20:05:27 UTC 2012

Stephen: I apologize that I did not see you had already found the book
"Honestly, Katie John!" by Mary Calhoun. It has several instances of
cootie/cooties. Here is another relevant excerpt:

Honestly, Katie John! - Page 92
books.google.com/books?isbn=0590085441
Mary Calhoun, Paul Frame - 1963 - Snippet view - More editions

[Begin extracted text]
If the boys were going to take up cootie-catching, then she wouldn't.
She was different, the lone wolf. When Howard dashed up to her in
mistaken delight that the old Katie was back to play with the boys,
she told him coolly to go pick cooties off Priscilla, that old
sugar-sugar would like it better. All during recess she punched alone
at the tetherball, ignoring even Sue, who stood on the sidewalk
shaking her head worriedly.
[End extracted text]