Henry James on Eliot on "a curved ball"

Fri Oct 5 10:58:37 UTC 2012

Here is an excerpt from the Atlantic article mentioning "a feint to
throw a ball in one direction and then throwing it in ANOTHER!"

Cite: 1929 November, The Atlantic Monthly, Volume 144, As Seen By a
Disciple: President Eliot by Le Baron Russell Briggs, Start Page 588,
Quote Page 599 and 600, The Atlantic Monthly Company, Boston.
(Verified on paper)

[Begin excerpt]
At a Faculty meeting the President had
been commenting on the shabbiness of
the University baseball team, which
was undeniable. Finally he spoke of
one man in the team who was, he said, a
Special Student in the Law School, but
never attended his classes. 'The students,'
he added, like him because he
is "up to all the professional tricks."'
After the meeting, Barrett Wendell and
I went to Mr. Eliot, saying in effect:
'We know little about that player and
care little about him; but we have seen
him play ball many times, and have
never seen him do anything mean or
dirty.' The President drew himself up
in the magnificent attitude that was
all his own and exclaimed with triumphant
finality, 'Why! They boasted of
his making a feint to throw a ball in
one direction and then throwing it in
ANOTHER!' He was superb. It was as if
he said, 'You young men don't know
what you are talking about,' yet said it
with regal courtesy. Still again, he
maintained that the manly way to play
football is to attack the strongest part
of the opponent's line.
[End excerpt]

Garson