Britishism?

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 8 07:59:23 UTC 2012

I suppose, "make" is more general than "schedule"--same meaning but
without having to specify the time up front. Still, when on the phone
with an office (health services or otherwise), "make an appointment"
seems to be perfectly common as a preface to asking for specific times.
Certainly was the case I scheduled car service--more specifically, I
/made an appointment/, but /scheduled service/. On the other hand, one
can book a spot/slot on the calendar (like booking a band), without that
sounding British.

     VS-)