another reversal??

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon Oct 8 13:38:51 UTC 2012

I agree with Alice. It seems to me that 'adapted' has an unspoken connotation of 'boiled down' or shrunk (that's normally what happens when novels etc. become screenplays, for example), and that seems to be what's jarring about saying that an article was 'adapted' into a book. I'm teaching a course this semester which includes an introduction to corpus linguistics--maybe I'll do some elementary research. Geoff Geoffrey S. Nathan Faculty Liaison, C&IT and Professor, Linguistics Program http://blogs.wayne.edu/proftech/ +1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT) ----- Original Message -----