OED Appeals: Bellini

Mon Oct 8 18:04:40 UTC 2012

The December 1955 issue of Esquire did contain a passage that
mentioned buying a Bellini along the Grand Canal in Venice. The page
number given by Google Books was inexact. I checked on microfilm and
the correct page was 141 and not 147.

Cite: 1955 December, "The Grand Canal: Tide of Elegance" by Charlotte
& Denis Plimmer, Start Page 141, Quote Page 141, Esquire, Inc.,
Chicago, Illinois. (Verified on microfilm)

[Begin excerpt]
Because the Grand Canal is, quite genuinely, Venice's Main Street, you
can transact the same kinds of business here that you can along any
Main Street anywhere. You can get your suit pressed, buy your
cigarettes, have a tooth pulled, ...

you can open a bank account, consult a lawyer, get arrested, buy a
kilo of baby octopus, a hunk of salami, a bunch of roses, a Bellini or
a nickel post card.
[End excerpt]

Garson